At the end of our first lesson of site we were given prompts for artworks and installations to look at which would hopefully in give us inspiration. The prompt that gained my attention was “Find a piece of unspeakable history” The reason it caught my attention was not because it was a free ticket to go and look for some kind of dark artwork but because I completely disagree with it. My opinion is that there is no such thing as unspeakable history as no speaking about something is as bad as covering the history up or participating in whatever “unspeakable” things are occurring.
In response to this though I managed to find something that I thought fitted my view on the question. An emerald bangle with newspaper print on it by the jeweler Karen Whiterod. After reading into her I found that Karen is a big fan of theater and throughout her studies she frequented many kinds of “pay what you think” kinds of dramatic pieces. She wanted to turn her hand to set design as her profession however she realized that she didn’t work well in a team and so changed her direction towards jewelry.
What I propose is linking back to her ambition of set design and in a more open sense drama itself. Taking the newspapering aspect of her work and plastering one of the chairs with newspaper and I will sit in the chair reading a newspaper and whenever I finish a page I tear it out of the paper, crumble it up into a ball and throw it aside. This in turn brings the work back in a full circle to the unspeakable history that the art piece is an answer for.
Depending on the permissions required from the gallery it would also be interesting to provide a small table with a pot next to the chair for people to pay for the performance if they want to.