I was instantly struck when I entered The Collection, at the blend of History and Art, one that strikes me as somewhat strange at first. For many Art can be thought of as a creative outlet whereas History can be thought of as purely factual record of events. Seeing the two side by side actually marry together unusually. Hearing a couple commenting on their fascination at the roman coins and minutes later the same couple debating over what the blue square means or represents really hit home about what an interesting dichotomy this gallery creates.

Whilst looking round Viewpoints gallery for the first time on the 28th January. I was struck by a couple of pieces that I felt married History and Art together. One of which coincidently happened to be given to me as a stimulus to work around. It’s a photograph taken on the cheapest film possible of a man turned around in front of a sideboard with a screeching cat behind him. Looking at it instantly transported me to a time in the past. It’s a picture that in ten years’ time wouldn’t go amiss in a historical photo album or a museum exhibit about British life. This is why it’s interesting to find this is a piece of Art.Photographs are very interesting as art because of their interpretations. As read in Theatre/Archaeology by Mike Pearson,he says that “The photographed world is rarely ever fully controlled” (Pearson and Shanks,2001) I feel this quote sums up this photo in particular as there is something slightly out of control in the scene. There is definitely a powerful feeling about the painting and the artist actually talks about how this is a portrayal of living with an alcoholic father. Regardless of this dark side to the picture it is full of warmth and reminds me personally of time spent with my grandparents.

Works Cited

Pearson, M. and Shanks, M. (2001). Theatre/archaeology. London: Routledge.

Image from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jane-lynch-rebuffed-grumpy-cat-733669