For a previous lesson we were asked to devise a performance task for a member of our class. We had to choose from a list of statements and questions and devise something from there. I chose the statement Reveals something about architecture/ space and so created a drawing task.

I wanted to create a piece that would both engage with the site but also created documentation from the performance. I tasked them to:

Go into the hallway, where the staircase is, in the Usher Gallery. Take a pencil and paper and draw what surrounds the art: the walls, the ceiling, floor etc. And in a series of small images create a picture of the site/space. What do you notice? How far is the space/site crucial?

From this Ryan drew some simple pencil drawings and he felt he was able to engage with the space. He commented on the use of similar colours and patterns throughout and how everything seemed to work in harmony, with the exception of the floor. He found the floor was more striking in comparison to the rest of the room. It also created documentation for my piece as I was able to keep the images he drew.

This task was helpful to me for many reasons, not only did it provide me with another opportunity to write a basic performance text but also allowed me to engaged with the space and architecture alongside Ryan.

These are the images Ryan produced.

ryan drawing 1 ryan drawing 2