On the 28th January, I had my first visit to the Usher Gallery & The Collection. The Usher Gallery is primarily an Art gallery, showcasing many different styles of Art, while The Collection focuses more on archaeological pieces and history. However, The Collection is currently hosting an Art Exhibition called ‘Viewpoints’, which examines the different ways in which Art can be viewed and analysed, and how different environments and emotions can affect the way Art is viewed.

After looking around the ‘Viewpoints’ exhibition, I was asked to create a one minute performance, as a response to a particular painting, and perform it on the 4th February. I made a conscious decision not to find out the name of the piece, or anything about the artist and the context of the painting, at least not until after the performance. The reason for this is I wanted to create a more personal response, based entirely on my perception of the piece. I found that the piece gave an insightful perception of the notion that ‘Life Imitates Art’, and this has served as the basis for my performance (As there was no photography allowed in the exhibition, I can’t include a picture, however one will be included in next week’s blog, along with an analysis of the performance).

See you next week!

Image taken from: www.visitlincoln.com