I had many preconceptions of Marina Abramović before watching the documentary on The Artist is Present. Her piece of artwork where she sat for over 700 hours opposite member of the public in New York’s Museum of Modern Art. I thought that her work had no purpose and that she was just pushing herself for no reason.

4422559925_7292a67f92

However after seeing the process of The Artist is Present. I see that there is more to her work. Although I would not personally do the work she does I can see that for her the exploring of pain and the body’s limits as art is just like exploring the body in a painting. Her performance is a challenge to the traditional painting.

What I like so much about The Artist is Present is that it is a shared experience between the artist and the gallery viewer. At the exhibition Marina Abramović displayed her past work. Unlike other artist displaying their life’s works she was present you could share such an intense moment with the artist.

Marina Abramović has the power to slow down the body and mind of the people who sit opposite her. Much like the opinions of Thomas P. Campbell in his TED talk – Weaving Narratives in Museum Galleries. When talking about the artwork in galleries he wants the visitors to slowdown to view and appreciate the objects and paintings.

(Image credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/themuseumofmodernart/4422559925/in/set-72157623594227362)